Jul 31, 2007

Are Your Friends Givers Or Takers

I had a very short night yesterday, and a very long day today. By the time 6:00PM rolled around, I was like a walking zombie. However, I had committed, weeks ago, to participating in an activity with some good friends.

I called them in the early evening, to let them know that I would probably not show up. Heck, I wanted to cancel because I felt so tired. In the end though, I decided to go anyway.

By the time I left them at 10::00 PM, I had much more energy than I did going in. That's what good friends do. Instead of dragging you down, they push you up.

Do you have people around you who suck all of your energy whenever you see them? You know the kind: their health is deteriorating, their marriage is crumbling, their children are driving them to an early grave. Heck, they're a walking country album!

If you have just one person like that in your life, it can be a constant drain on your life.

Here are some tips to help you deal with these energy-drainers in your life:
  • Tell them how you honestly feel. Tell them that they are sucking the life juice out of you and you want it to stop. As long as you say nothing, they will assume you're all right with it.
  • Laugh about it. Now, I don't mean to laugh at the person, I mean laugh at the situations. Exaggerate them! When you do, the other person may (yes, may) realize that he or she is constantly complaining. Sometimes, people just aren't aware of how often they complain.
  • Ditch them. That's right, if you can't get them to stop complaining and it is really bugging you, stop all contact with that person. If you do so for a long enough period of time, something magical will happen. The next time you see that person and he or she starts complaining, it won't bother you in the least. All you will be thinking is, "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Poor child, still stuck in the quagmire and unable to get out."
Life is too short to let other people make you miserable. Don't give anyone permission to do so. And if those people are your "friends", go make better friends!


Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment